Now available! - Christmas Tree Earrings Collection

Now available! - Christmas Tree Earrings Collection
Add a touch of magic to your holiday outfits with festive Christmas earrings. I’ve gathered together 12 of my all-time best Christmas Tree earring designs from previous years in this one special ebook. From traditional to modern, you’ll find a variety of styles, techniques and materials and something for every level of jewellery-maker.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Butterfly Bouquet

I got carried away with drawing butterflies last week and made so many that I decided to use them for the final frame in my black and white butterfly series.

Not being much of a sketcher, I found it challenging to create a pair of identical wings. But what I discovered is that the wings don't need to be identical. As long as the outline of the butterfly is symmetrical, then your eye doesn't notice the differences in the pattern from one half of the butterfly to the other. And the easy way to achieve that is by using die cuts!

Anyway, here it is: the final black and white butterfly shadow box in the series.

For this project I die cut 7 Sizzix butterflies and 1 Cuttlebug butterfly (details listed in supplies list below). Then I went to town sketching/colouring butterflies with a Microperm pigment pen. To help with the patterns, I did an image search for black and white butterflies.

Each of the butterflies is attached to a length of wire with double sided tape. They vary in length from 10-15cm (4-6").

After arranging them in a bouquet, I taped them to the back of the matt board that comes in the Ribba frame.

And for the finishing touch I applied some self adhesive crystals to the matt board before assembling the shadow box. To accommodate the thickness of the bunch of wires, I used foam tape to raise the matt from the background.

The most time consuming part of this project is drawing the butterflies. The rest of it is a breeze to put together.

Supplies for this shadow box:  Ikea Ribba shadow box frameCuttlebug Combo Butterflies; Sizzix Birds & Butterflies by Eileen HullKaiser Craft crystals; PortaCraft Rhinestone Icon; black and white card stock; damask tissue paper glued to white card stock; 08 black Sakura Pigma Micron pen; Inkssentials white opaque pen; and Beadalon Egg White Artistic Wire.

And finally, my three shadow boxes are ready for hanging. But that's a project for the handyman in my household!

'Til next time......


LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin