Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Jewellery Wire Organisation

All crafters seem to struggle with storage and organisation, especially as our collection of crafting materials grows. No matter how well you organise, you inevitably have to revisit your storage solutions from time to time. Right now, I'm finding my wire drawer troublesome and it takes too long to find the colour/gauge of wire that I'm looking for underneath all those spools.

This drawer needs taming!

My wire is stored in a drawer in my BEST Craft Organizer and it's handy so I want to keep it there. I was so pleased when I realised that the insert which fits the deep drawers fits 4 spools of Artistic Wire in each cavity perfectly. This looks so pretty.... and definitely organised.
But could organising be this easy?

Unfortunately, no! The new larger, flatter shaped spools of Artistic Wire won't fit in the drawers unless they're stacked on top of one other. It's tidy, but you can't see the wire colour. These new spools really need to stand on their sides but the diameter of the spools is too high for the depth of the drawer. How disappointing!

But I am determined to use my BEST Craft Organizer to store my wire so I've come up with a compromise. This deep drawer will have to take up 3 shelf spaces instead of two shelves of the system. To make it work, I'm going to need a dividing system to keep everything in place.

I've shown you snap and fit type drawer dividers before. You just snap to the length you want and then slot the pieces together in a grid.
Spotlight version on the left, Howards Storage World version on the right.

My local Spotlight store no longer stocks them but luckily, Howards Storage World does! And in different depths for different sized drawers.

So after a little fiddling around with how things would fit, this is what I've ended up with.

This should keep that wire organised for a while longer.... at least until I add to the collection again. Luckily, it can be reconfigured as the collection grows!

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

  1. That looks great Mylene! I struggle with how to organize my beads, findings and supplies so that they are easily accessible and also can be seen easily. I'm learning that you have to adapt as your supply grows! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, organising is like that Susan. I don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect storage system.... just ones we can adapt and expand. Good luck with finding a solution that works for you. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.