Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ugly Ducklings Turn into Swans

The most wonderful things happen when you make mistakes. Earlier in the week I was telling you about how one of my ugly duckling resin castings turned into a beautiful swan, in the form of a necklace that both my daughters now want to lay claim to.

Today I want to tell you about another one of those less than perfect casting moments and how some creative thinking brought about a new colouring idea. Here's how the story goes:

I was casting a resin bangle that I had coloured with Pearl pigment. It was really pretty in the bangle mould and I was very happy with the way it looked. But I had mixed a little more resin than I actually needed for the bangle and I had just enough left to pour a thin layer into each cavity of one of my favourite Krafty Lady art moulds, 5 Dominoes (AM245). I thought this beautiful pearl colour would make a great background with something embedded on top of it. But it was such a disappointment! The colour was so transparent that it completely lost its effect. So I set the casts aside for another day.

And then it hit me.... why not take advantage of the transparency and add colour in layers so that they seem to be suspended in resin. I'm sure that this has been done before, but I suspect not with the colouring technique I've used.

So I set about adding colour, layering resin, adding more colour and topping up with resin. It was quite a lengthy process but it worked a treat! These resin pieces were now great bases to create some unique pieces of jewellery on. Take a look below to see them made up.

The first is put together with copper connectors from Nunn Designs and some sweet brown roses from Plaid's Petals a Plenty range which worked well with the garden tones of the resin piece.

The second piece has a frosted glass frame around a silver bird charm (Plaid's Fresh range). A simple chain finishes the pendant.I'm very happy with the results and I'm sure that at some stage in the future I'll create some more pieces using this technique.

This weekend I'm off to the newest Craft Expo on the Brisbane craft calendar. It's run by the same people who put together the Brisbane Scrapbook and Papercraft Expo in June and anyone who has been to that show knows how good a show they put on. I'm sure I'll find an item or two to add to my craft stash so I'm looking forward to a wonderful day out!

'Til next time,
Myléne

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.