Now available! - Twelve Days of Christmas Earrings Volume 5 with 12 all-new designs.

Now available! - Twelve Days of Christmas Earrings Volume 5 with 12 all-new designs.
Get ready for the Christmas Party season and make yourself some sparkly festive earrings. Christmas Trees, snowflakes, ornaments and stars - these are just a few of the fabulous earrings in this Volume

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bad Resin Day!


Yesterday, I had a bad resin day!

Sometimes, things don't go quite as planned: I had bad pours, spilled resin, bubbling issues, cross contamination, you name it, I seemed to be clumsy enough to do it. It was just one of those days!

But that's not what this post is about. Those mess ups give me the opportunity to show you some of the things that can go wrong when working with resin.

So let's have a look at a couple of the things that didn't go according to plan.

The first bangle has a little bit of bubbling in the resin (not unusual for polyurethane resin) but the biggest problem is what I'd describe as warts on the surface.

The culprit here is moisture. A crack in the lid of the colourant I used has allowed moisture to contaminate the dye. Mix with resin and you get warts and bubbling!
Lesson: resin and moisture do not mix!

In the second bangle I have a totally different problem.  I've seen this happen once or twice before with beginners but I had never experienced it myself. And I'll have to be honest here and say I've never seen it THIS BAD before!

What you are looking at here is the swollen outside edge of a bangle. It looks like it has a fat lip!

In the photo below, you can see how it has puckered on the inside, looking a lot like a kid's inflatable swimming pool.

The culprit here is the operator. I have not mixed the resin well enough and inside the outer shell of cured resin is uncured, unmixed resin.

Lesson: Make sure the resin is thoroughly mixed.

So take heart: even experienced resin crafters get less than perfect results sometimes. Keep in mind these two very important points and you can avoid these ghastly mistakes. Resin really is fun and easy to work with when you do it properly.

'Til next time.....


LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin