Now available! - Twelve Days of Christmas Earrings Volume 5 with 12 all-new designs.

Now available! - Twelve Days of Christmas Earrings Volume 5 with 12 all-new designs.
Get ready for the Christmas Party season and make yourself some sparkly festive earrings. Christmas Trees, snowflakes, ornaments and stars - these are just a few of the fabulous earrings in this Volume

Monday, November 21, 2011

Paper Bead Jewellery

Oh what fun! I've been playing with the paper bead rolling kit that I brought home with me from CHA earlier in the year. Those brightly coloured strands of paper beads hanging up in the booth of Aubrey's Paper Beads were so enticing that I couldn't resist temptation and I bought several strands.

But I also bought the kit to make my own!

One thing I discovered is that getting even beads is not as easy as it seems. I don't know how many strips of paper I unravelled and re-rolled because my beads were lopsided! It's a good thing that the kit comes with pre-cut magazine strips so that at least all your beads will be the same size, if only you can roll them straight!

Anyway, this is how easy it is to roll your own paper beads. Firstly, place the straight end of the strip of paper along the metal part of the tool.....

and then begin to roll. Roll as straight as you can - it's really easy to get off line and end up with a lopsided bead. If that happens, just unravel it and re-roll until you get it right.

I like to add a bit of adhesive along the strip as I go. I used Mod Podge but use whatever paper adhesive you have on hand. It's a bit of a messy process but it ensures the bead won't unravel.

Once you get it started, just keep rolling......

......and rolling, until you get to the end of the strip. Glue it in place to secure.
How easy is that?!!  Now you can slide the bead off the tool and you're ready to make another bead.

It is a strangely satisfying process - your recycling efforts are rewarded with a bunch of handmade beads ready to incorporate into your next jewellery project. 

Check back in tomorrow to see what I do with them next!

'Til then.......


LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin