Monday, February 22, 2010

A Change of Heart

They say it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. It's something I do often when I'm designing a project. I have an idea, I start to put it together and then another idea comes into my head and I change my mind. It's a great way to explore new possibilities.

Take this necklace for instance. When I first had the idea to incorporate the two silver hearts into the design, I was going to hang the small and medium hearts below the Friendly Plastic heart..... and I was quite pleased with the way it looked. But then, just as I began to assemble the pieces, it happened - I changed my mind! A different idea popped into my head: What if I changed the order of the hearts? What if I placed the smallest heart at the top of the design and the largest heart at the bottom? I like how that looks even better! Rearranging the hearts has completely changed the balance of the piece. And it's unexpected - you expect the design to taper at the bottom of the pendant - but reversing the order has made the piece much more interesting.

Isn't it wonderful to be a woman just so you can change your mind?

Would you like to comment?

  1. Thanks Sara - I'll post more finished pieces in the coming weeks. :) Myléne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.