Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bangle No. 7 - Glitter Brocade

Well, here we are at the final day of the bangle assignment.

When I think back to the first day of the challenge and the scary moment when I realised that these were not my materials of choice, I had no idea that some of these designs were hidden inside the supplies I would be using. Even I'm surprised by how well some of the bangles have turned out.

So let's see how I did with the final bangle of the challenge.

You can begin by painting the inside and top and bottom edges of the bangle with Bright Gold Lumiere paint. You'll probably notice in the photo below that my bangle isn't painted but that's because I forgot to do it first and had to carefully paint around glitter later on. So, to make things easier for yourself, paint the bangle first. Then cover a section of the outside of the bangle with Designer Dries Clear and spread it out evenly with your finger. Sprinkle it with Vintage Glass Glitter (903 Alexandrite) from Art Institute Glitter. Repeat all the way around the bangle.Allow it to dry for a few minutes and then rub away any loose flakes so that you have a patchy cover. Apply another coat of Designer Dries Clear to the bangle working in small sections at a time. Cover with gold glitter and tap away the excess. Continue until the whole bangle is covered.Cut a strip of printed acetate measuring the width and circumference of the bangle. I've used one of the beautiful hand silk-screened overlays from Hambly Screen Prints. The imagery on these overlays is just stunning and the designs are so clean - I think that I'm in loooove with this range!

Still working in small sections at a time, apply a generous amount of Judikins Diamond Glaze over the glitter and spread it out with your finger making sure you go all the way to the edges. And I learned a lesson here: Diamond Glaze caused the colour of the Vintage Glass Glitter to run but it's left a lovely soft pink haze about the bangle which I quite like, but if you don't want that to happen, then coat it with a sealant before using Diamond Glaze. Place the acetate band on the surface and hold the end in place with a peg. Continue working in small sections until the whole bangle is covered and then place the peg where the two ends meet and set it aside until it has dried completely.And here's the finished bangle: a mixture of glitz and elegance. The materials for today's bangle were supplied by Art Institute Glitter, Judikins, Jacquard and of course, Diy Bangles who supplied all the oval bangles for this challenge. Thank you to you all.

Thanks for joining me during Bangle Week at Mill Lane Studio - it's been a fun experiment. I hope you've enjoyed the tutorials and will have a go at decorating your own bangles.

Would you like to comment?

  1. Thanks for sharing your bangles with us. I've loved following them all. You're so talented creative and I enjoy your blog immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Davinia. I'm glad you visit often. Check back later in the week when I will have a new project and blog giveaway. Smiles, Myléne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.