Originally, it was strung on fishing line but it had unravelled in parts and a few of the round wooden beads were lost but other than that, it's in great condition.
There was little hope of matching those missing beads so it was just a matter of replacing the missing beads with a few beads from the back of the necklace where they won't be missed at all. It's a very straight forward repair.
I've been able to re-use all the findings but I replaced the fishing line with two strands of Fireline to make it really durable and strong. The two strands are actually part of the design too.
I'm not going to show you the whole stringing process - you can see the stringing pattern in the photo at the bottom of the post. But I thought you might like to see how I started and finished the necklace.
Firstly I tied a quadruple knot at the end of the Fireline. Four knots seems a bit like overkill but the knot needs to be bigger than the hole in the calotte so it won't slip through. A dab of GS-Hypo Cement all over the knot will make sure it doesn't unravel.
Here's the part of the design where the strands separate before coming back together again.
The only tricky thing with the threading is making sure that the animal beads are the right way up. An upside down laughing hyena is no laughing matter at all!
Finishing the end of the necklace with knots was much trickier than at the start of the necklace so I threaded on a seed bead which fitted snugly inside the calotte.
To make sure it stayed securely in place, I've threaded the Fireline back through the bead two more times.
I wanted to make doubly sure that this necklace doesn't fall apart again so I also tied a double knot right above the bead and then applied GS-Hypo Cement all over the Fireline before trimming away the excess.
Closing the calottes was all that was needed to finish the necklace and you can see from this photo that I didn't even remove the barrel clasp to do this repair.
And here it is, all rethreaded and ready to be worn by it's lucky owner.
'Til next time.....