Now that my silicone coaster mould is cured I'm all set to cast the first Man Cave resin coaster - the gifts my son is giving to his mates for Christmas.
Beer bottle caps would have to be THE perfect item to embed in coasters for guys in their early 20s (or maybe any age!). My son has been collecting bottle caps for this project for months and I've been busting to get started on it. So whilst the silicone mould was curing, I began by preparing the bottle caps.
I started by filling them with resin.
I'm so glad I did this before setting the caps into the resin because a
few bubbles got caught around the rubber lining of each cap and it was
easier to pop them before they were set into the coaster mould rather
than after. It also made them heavy enough so they didn't float to the
surface when I filled the mould.
As soon as the silicone was cured I was able to start pouring resin into the mould - just a shallow layer to begin with. Once this was at the soft cure stage, I lined up the bottle caps in the mould as best I could. It was a bit tricky because they're upside down in the mould.
One or two of them ended up twisted a little bit but it still looks OK. One final layer of resin covers all the bottle caps.
This first coaster was a test run to see if I've poured in enough resin, whether the mould was deep enough and also to work out how much resin I'll need for each coaster. The mould passed on
All in all, it was a successful pour. The only disappointment I have is the colour of the resin which is way too yellow for clear casting resin. It turns out my brand new resin kit is not so fresh and the hardener had yellowed.
It still looks good though and I'm thinking of putting a piece of white felt on the back to highlight the "beer" colour!
Now, all I need is a whole stack more bottle caps!
Edited March 2013 - You can now purchase a kit to make a set of your own from my website.
'Til next time.....