Friday, March 30, 2012

A Lengthy Lariat

Earlier in the week I completed the spiral rope necklace to wear with my swirly yellow, brown and orange dress. I loved the way the necklace turned out but it just didn't work with the dress. Such a shame. But the good part is that I learned a new stitch and ever since I have been itching to start on the next kit. It's a lariat using St Petersburg stitch and the packaging says its level of difficulty is medium.

Well, I'm breezing through it. And while it's taking a little longer to make the finished length than the spiral rope took, it's taking shape nicely.

There's a lot to like about this stitch. Apart from being quite easy, I really like the angled pattern the stitch creates - the movement and direction that makes your eye move up and down the pattern. And because there is so little backstitching, it's really flexible as you can see in the photo. Don't you love the little picot edge?

As I'm working on this, I'm beginning to wonder if it might go with the swirly yellow, orange and brown dress - after all, there are patches of blue, pink and purple in the fabric. I have been trying to create jewellery for that dress all week and it's proving to be a difficult task.  So far, I've made 4 great pieces but not one of them is quite right. But I'm determined to find something that works with it.

So tomorrow I'm off to the bead wholesaler and I'm hoping to come home with some dark wooden beads. Failing that I'm really not sure what I'll try next. I'd love to wear that dress for Easter so I have to get a hurry up.

Wish me luck!








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.