Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bejewelled Christmas Wreath Earrings - Twelve Days and Counting - Day 10

I had a little technical hitch with today's earrings - I gave myself a nasty burn with a Bejeweller Wand but learned a very valuable lesson along the way: don't touch the shaft of the wand when it's turned on!

OK, so that would seem to be obvious but when you're looking at your work through a magnifying lens you can only see what's right in front of you. You actually lose your peripheral vision so you are really working with blinkers on. So without being able to see what I was doing, I placed my thumb and forefinger on the shaft instead of on the safety handle. Yowee!!!!! It would seem that a visit to the optometrist is long overdue!

To add insult to injury, my plan to use the Bejeweller Wand to adhere crystals to a metal ring did not work and the crystals either fell off or could be easily pulled off. But in the end, I got the result I was after: a pair of Bejewelled Christmas Wreath earrings. Read on to find out how to make them.

You'll need the following materials:
2 x silver rings
4 x silver metal bow connectors
2 x clear acrylic "Celebrate" tiles
2 x silver gift box charms
16 x assorted 4mm flat back crystals (SiamTopaz and Preciosa Aurum)
14 x Peridot 3mm flat back crystals
4 x silver oval jump rings (6mm x 4mm)
2 x silver 4mm jump rings
2 x silver earring wires

Using GS Hypo Cement apply 3 dots of adhesive to each side of the acrylic tile making sure that it will be hidden behind a crystal. Attach the tile across the centre of the silver ring. Attach the crystals to the ring and the acrylic tile using the photo as a guide. Make sure you use a generous amount inside the holes of the tile and to ensure the crystals are secure.

Leave a space at the top so the bow will sit flat.

Place a bow connector on an oval jump ring.....


.....and then a gift box charm.

Add another bow connector to the jump ring and then sandwich the silver ring between the two bows by passing one of the bows between the gap of the tile and the silver ring. (Gift box charm is not illustrated in this photo but it should be between the two bows).

Close the jump ring. Connect the earring wire to the bow connectors using a 4mm jump ring and you're finished. Make a matching earring and you're ready to "Celebrate" the Season!

There are just 2 more pairs of earrings to be made for the Twelve Days and Counting Earrings Spectacular. I hope you'll join me again tomorrow to see what else I can come up with.

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.