Saturday, March 15, 2008

More Effektiv storage!


In a household of 2 adults and 4 teenagers - (whoops, that's now 3 adults and 3 teenagers - my 21 year old would never forgive me for that!), storage really is a challenge and that's to be expected. But with no built in storage (other than a linen cupboard and kitchen cabinets) all storage has to be free standing.

Yesterday, I posted an image of the Ikea Effectiv drawer units I have finally assembled... but on Wednesday I made a great discovery at Ikea - they make height extension units in this range. You can imagine my excitement when I saw these as my drawer units are no longer available. Yet here were these height extension units which will fit on top of my drawers.

So yesterday morning, I took to assembling the first one. Easy, peasy..... Ikea furniture always fits together so well! But then I hit a hitch. The holes on the top of my discontinued drawer units don't align with the pre-drilled holes on the bottom of the height extension units. No worries - I'm handy with a drill! So after a few minutes of some accurate measuring, I drilled the necessary 4 holes, screwed in the screws, placed the extension on top and tightened where directed. The only drawback from adding on this unit is that there is a 5mm gap at the back as it wasn't really designed with the Effektiv drawers in mind but otherwise, it fits well. Shelves still to come and maybe one day I will even fit doors to hide the clutter that will gather in there but in the meantime, I'll keep it with it's back to the viewer and no-one will see.

Would you like to comment?

  1. Welcome to the Blogosphere!!! I too have storage issues here!! Why didn't they build closets? Probably because they all had those big cupboards... weird.
    Nice job with the Effektiv (I also don't like when Ikea discontinue things I need! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.